Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Essence vs Ego

So I went to my sister Dani's Relief Society last night. She invited me and some of my other sisters, only Katelyn was able to come, to go listen to this relationship speaker. He was speaking on Self Esteem. I almost didn't go because I was tired and wanted to be home with my hubby. But I decided that I really could use some good self esteem advice, that is my biggest struggle in life, being happy with myself. Anyway, Dani had gone to a lecture by him earlier this year and said she laughed so hard and learned so much. His name is Matt Townsend, and I would suggest anyone who gets an offer to go to one of his lectures, to jump at the chance! He was great!


So the Topic, Matt called it Essence vs Ego. All about self esteem and how to have/keep a good self esteem. He talked about all the different things in our lives and how it stress us all out not being able to keep up with what we think we should be doing.

He put into prospective what is really important and tied it into the gospel so amazingly. I don't think I have every laughed really hard and felt the spirit so strong. He calls our spirit, given to us by our Heavenly Father our "Essence". We all have our essence and it will always be there with us. We just have to remember it is there. The "Ego" is all of those things that stress us out and we think make up our identity.

My favorite quote from this speaker was this, "Christ saw your face in Gethsemane, nothing you do or feel surprises him. He still loves you unconditionally, even if you don't grow the garden you think you are supposed to have, or have all of your genealogy done. He still loves you! When you are in your "essence" or in your true spirit. You will always feel his love"

I love this because we all stress about our body, our house, etc. We all feel embarrassed, ashamed, guilty, inadequate, and unworthy at times in our life. But if we become one with our "essence" we wont have to feel those things. We can know that our Heavenly Father loves us so dearly and our faults are not seen in his eyes.

I wish I could say all that he did last night, or at least put it into comprehendable terms. It was just what I needed to hear and I am so glad that I went. I am going to buy his book on health marriage communication, I will let you know how it is.

Also, he teaches a "Date Night" where he speaks to couples about communication and relationships. I am really wanting to go, I just want to find some more couples to go with! This is what my sister went to and said it was a hilarious night. She even cried from laughter! ha ha If anyone is interested, let me know, I am trying to go with Taylor soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment